The Big Desert – Sunset Country Track Guide covers a total distance of 905.4km.
This region of Victoria is a 4wd experience that encompasses everything from hard clay tracks to very soft sand driving; with many bog holes to bees. Some areas are quite remote and you may not see anyone all day then be confronted with a convoy of 4wd’s from a local club or various families driving their way around the many tracks.
There are several campsites, many with toilets and water set up by rangers and monitored on a regular basis. There are the salt lakes at Rocket Lake and the Pink Lakes, including Lake Albacutya that remind you of the dry, harsh environment that is typical of this region, not to mention several ancient lake beds and swamps you track through.
This is an amazing location shrouded in wildflowers during spring and offering ecosystems unique with wildlife.
The Sectioned Maps will help you find everything of interest along the Track and point out potential road cautions in advance, supported by visual references, for the benefit of your safety.
Using photography, track notes and mapping, the Outback Travellers Big Desert – Sunset Country Track Guide is a companion to sheet maps, offering a closer look at what is out there, where to find it and how to get there safely.
Map Guides include:
- Nhill to Yanac turnoff, 32.9km (Section A)
- Yanac turnoff to Red Bluff Track turnoff, 30.5km (Section B)
- Red Bluff Track to Red Bluff Campsite, 44.1km (Section C)
- Red Bluff Track turnoff to Milmed Rock Track, 31.9km (Section D)
- Milmed Rock Track turnoff to Fire Break Track, 33.3km (Section E)
- Cactus Bore Track – Coburns Track to Fire Break Track, 34.5km (Section F)
- Fire Break Track to Murrayville, 22.8km (Section G)
- Murrayville to Number 6 Bore Road North, 40.6km (Section H)
- Number 6 Bore Road North to South Bore Track, 30.9km (Section I)
- South Bore Track turnoff to Pheeneys Track, 67.0km (Section J)
- Pheeneys Track turnoff to Bambill South Track, 37.5km (Section K)
- Bambill South Track turnoff to Rocket Lake, 42.8km (Section L)
- Rocket Lake turnoff to Last Hope Track, 40.6km (Section M)
- Last Hope Track turnoff to Honeymoon Hut Track, 41.5km (Section N)
- Honeymoon Hut Track to Underbool Track, 34.5km (Section O)
- Mt Crozier Track – Grub Track – Honeymoon Hut Track, 39.9km (Section P)
- Mt Crozier Track – Pink Lakes to Mallee Highway, 34.6km (Section Q)
- Pink Lakes turnoff to O’Sullivans Lookout, 43.4km (Section R)
- O’Sullivans Lookout to Baring South Road, 43.2km (Section S)
- Moonah Track turnoff to Dattuck Track, 23.9km (Section T)
- North South Track turnoff to Wonga Campsite, 28.4km (Section U)
- Wonga Campground to Rifle Butt Road, 18.8km (Section V)
- Park Road to Milmed Rock Track turnoff, 38.0km (Section W)
- Pella Track turnoff to Milmed Rock, 41.3km (Section X)
- Milmed Rock to Nhill-Murrayville Road, 28.5km (Section Y)