Birdsville Track covers a total distance of 519.3km. Driving the Birdsville Track is still one of the outback’s great adventures. The track began during the 1880’s as the main stock route from Birdsville to Marree.
The diversity of country between the four deserts, Tirari, Strzelecki, Sturt Stony and Simpson contrasted by the wetlands of Clayton river, Cooper creek and Mungerannie, the hills at Mungerannie Gap and the steaming hot bores, highlights the imagination of life during the early pioneering days.
The Sectioned Maps will help you find everything of interest along the Track and point out potential road cautions in advance, supported by visual references, for the benefit of your safety.
Using photography, track notes and mapping, the Outback Travellers Birdsville Track Guide is a companion to sheet maps, offering a closer look at what is out there, where to find it and how to get there safely.
Map Guides include:
- Marree to Clayton Wetlands, 52.9km (Section A)
- Clayton Wetlands to Russells Creek, 39.7km (Section B)
- Russells Creek to Flood Bypass Track, 52.1km (Section C)
- Flood Bypass Track to Mungerannie Roadhouse, 59.2km (Section D)
- Mungerannie Roadhouse to Mirra Mitta Bore, 36.7km (Section E)
- Mirra Mitta Bore to Mt Gason Creek, 53.9km (Section F)
- Mt Gason Creek to Tippipilla Camp Area, 42.7km (Section G)
- Tippipilla Camp Area to Lake Surprise Bore, 46.6km (Section H)
- Lake Surprise Bore to Moongarra Channel, 58.7km (Section I)
- Moongarra Channel to Pandie Pandie Turnoff, 48.4km (Section J)
- Pandie Pandie Turnoff to Birdsville, 28.4km (Section K)
- Birdsville to Big Red, 36.9km
- Birdsville to Cacoory Ruins, 79.9km
- Cacoory Ruins to Bedourie, 106.9km, & Flood Bypass, 106.1km
- Birdsville Development Road to Cacoory Turnoff, 63.2km
- Cacoory Turnoff to Betoota, 104.2km, & Cadelga Homestead Ruins, 37.5km
- Birdsville Inside Track A, 71.4km
- Birdsville Inside Track B, 71.4km
- Walkers Crossing Track A, 99.5km
- Walkers Crossing Track B, 126.3km
General Maps include Maree Township, and Birdsville Township.