The Gunbarrel Highway Track Guide covers a total distance of 826.8km.
Much of the track is heavily corrugated and a test bed for your 4wd’s nuts & bolts through vibration and harmonic torture.
There are many areas with washouts, heavy sand, gravel and many outcrops of rocky sections. However, this is off-set by great bush camping at places like Geraldton Bore and Camp Beadell.
As permits are not being granted by the Ngaanyatjarra Council for the abandoned section of the Gunbarrel, it is currently not accessible. Travel to and from the Great Central Road is via the Heather Highway, which also requires a permit to transit.
The view from Mt Beadell is well worth the climb and houses a replica of Len Beadell’s theodolite at the lookout.
Many 4 wheel drivers use the Gunbarrel as a short-cut from Central Australia to Wiluna and the Canning Stock Route and many want to drive it simply because of its reputation. What ever your reason, the Gibson desert is a unique environment that any serious traveller will just want to experience.
The Sectioned Maps will help you find everything of interest along the Track and point out potential road cautions in advance, supported by visual references, for the benefit of your safety.
Using photography, track notes and mapping, the Outback Travellers Gunbarrel Highway Track Guide is a companion to sheet maps, offering a closer look at what is out there, where to find it and how to get there safely.
Map Guides include:
- Wiluna to Carnegie turnoff, 58.5km (Section A)
- Carnegie turnoff to Wonganoo Homestead turnoff, 84.2km (Section B)
- Wonganoo Homestead turnoff to Wongawol Homestead turnoff, 69.8km (Section C)
- Wongawol Homestead turnoff to Mingal Camp, 59.5km (Section D)
- Mingal Camp to Carnegie Homestead, 68km (Section E)
- Carnegie Homestead to NMF 375 Marker, 55.8km (Section F)
- NMF 375 Marker to Mt Nossiter turnoff, 48.4km (Section G)
- Mt Nossiter turnoff to Mangkili Claypan, 49.3km (Section H)
- Mangkili Claypan to Geraldton Bore, 51.7km (Section I)
- Geraldton Bore to Mt Gordon campsite, 40.7km (Section J)
- Mt Gordon campsite to Camp Beadell, 53.3km (Section K)
- Camp Beadell to Heather Highway turnoff, 65.6km (Section L)
- Heather Highway Turnoff to T-Intersection, 37.6km (Section M)
- T-Intersection to Great Central Road Junction, 47.8km (Section N)
- Heather Highway turnoff to Warburton, 36.6km (Section O)