The Outback Travellers North Simpson Desert Track Guide covers a total distance of 613.5km.
The Campsites of Dr. Cecil Madigan’s expedition in 1939 are indicated with (Black dots) and numbered accordingly.
This area is not for the faint hearted, it demands expertise in 4wd handling, recovery knowledge and experience in dealing with extremely remote conditions. Travellers should be very well prepared and self sufficient for any emergency. It is advisable to travel in a party of two or more vehicles.
Some of the area crosses Aboriginal Land and permits should be applied for if travelling this direction. Camp 24 was not visited due to the particularly difficult means of getting there by 4×4.
This track covers some beautiful yet rugged terrain, hard on vehicles and people combined. The ultimate 4wd experience through some of Australia’s most pristine red desert country.
The Sectioned Maps will help you find everything of interest along the Track and point out potential road cautions in advance, supported by visual references, for the benefit of your safety.
Using photography, track notes and mapping, the Outback Travellers North Simpson Desert Guide is a companion to sheet maps, offering a closer look at what is out there, where to find it and how to get there safely.
Map Guides include:
- Old Andado Homestead to Mac Clarke Conservation Reserve, 45.6km
- Mac Clarke Conservation Reserve to The Twins, 63.6km (Section A)
- The Twins to Camp 6 via the Pivot and Crossing, 69.6km
- The Twins to Madigan Camp 5, 56.9km (Section B)
- Colson Track from French Line to Camp 5, 192km
- Madigan Camp 5 to Camp 7, 51.8km (Section C)
- Shot Line to Geographic Centre Track, 122.8km
- Madigan Camp 7 to Camp 9, 42.2km (Section D)
- Madigan Camp 16 to the Turnoff, 74.2km
- Madigan Camp 9 to Camp 12, 40.4km (Section E)
- Turnoff to Poeppel Corner Oil Well, 62.4km
- Madigan Camp 12 to Camp 14, 48.7km (Section F)
- Mt. Dare to Old Andado Homestead, 103km
- Madigan Camp 14 to Camp 16, 20.4km (Section G)
- Madigan Camp 16 to Camp 19, 78.4km (Section H)
- Madigan Camp 19 to Camp 22, 68.7km (Section J)
- Madigan Camp 22 to Birdsville, 96.8km (Section K)