The Outback Travellers Simpson Desert Track Guide covers a total distance of 505.8km. The Simpson Desert is a hazardous and remote location, yet attracts four wheel drivers and motorbike riders by the hundreds annually.
Today, 4WD enthusiasts, adventurers, tourists and those seeking the challenges of the desert, traverse the 1100 sand dunes and many other tracks. Wild camels and dingoes roam throughout the area with eagles overhead and large perentie seen on rare occasions.
The Simpson Desert offers an insight into some of Australia’s toughest red sand dune country, however, such a trip should never be taken lightly. Travelers should be well prepared for such an adventure and must have adequate 4WD knowledge and recovery skills.
The Sectioned Maps will help you find everything of interest along the Track and point out potential road cautions in advance, supported by visual references, for the benefit of your safety.
Using photography, track notes and mapping, the Outback Travellers Simpson Desert Guide is a companion to sheet maps, offering a closer look at what is out there, where to find it and how to get there safely.
Map Guides include:
- Mt Dare Hotel to Federal Turnoff, 33.7km (Section A)
- Federal Turnoff to Dalhousie Springs, 35.3km (Section B)
- Dalhousie Springs to SCD30, 34.1km (Section C)
- SCD30 to Purni Bore, 37.4km (Section D)
- Purni Bore to FRN85, 17.5km (Section E)
- FRN85 to Wonga Corner, 12.0km (Section F)
- Wonga Corner to FRN119, 20.1km (Section G)
- FRN119 to Colson Junction, 18.5km (Section H)
- Colson Junction to BM6851, 25.1km (Section I)
- BM6851 to Erabena Junction, 27.9km (Section J)
- Erabena Junction to FRN211, 20.1km (Section K)
- FRN211 to Lindsay Junction, 15.7km (Section L)
- Lindsay Junction to BM6868, 19.8km (Section M)
- BM6868 to Poeppel Corner, 21.9km (Section N)
- Poeppel Corner Loop & Poeppel Oil Well, 19.8km (Section O)
- QAA Line to Site 6, 32.4km (Section P)
- QAA – Site 6 to Site 2, 39.3km (Section Q)
- QAA – Site 2 to Big Red, 38.3km (Section R)
- Big Red to Birdsville, 36.9km (Section S)
- Colson Track fron NT Border to WAA Line, 37.5km
- Erabena Track, 50.3km
- Knolls Track, 41.0km
- K1 Line – Warburton Track, 201.3km
- Knolls Junction to Kuncherinna Junction, 108.0km
- Walkandi Junction to Knolls Junction, 48.4km
- Georges Junction to Walkandi Junction, 82.0km
- Wonga Corner along WAA Line to WAA Junction, 89.8km
- WAA Junction to Tilly Junction, 29.1km
General Maps include Simpson Desert Overview, and Birdsville Township.