Strzelecki Track covers a total distance of 471km.
The Strzelecki Track was originally created by the cattle thief, Harry Redford, when he drove 1000 head of stolen cattle from Queensland along the Strzelecki Creek to Blanchewater Station, giving him the nickname, Captain Starlight. Although he was caught for his crime, he was not charged due to the audacious feat of blazing a new cattle stock route, making him a national hero of the day.
The track was actually named in 1845 by Charles Sturt and the area around Innamincka became famous due to the tragic events of the Burke and Wills Expedition.
Today the area is largely occupied by the Santos Gas and Oil fields which branch out from Moomba and appear in most areas throughout the Strzelecki and Sturt Stony Deserts.
The Sectioned Maps will help you find everything of interest along the Track and point out potential road cautions in advance, supported by visual references, for the benefit of your safety.
Using photography, track notes and mapping, the Outback Travellers Strzelecki Track Guide is a companion to sheet maps, offering a closer look at what is out there, where to find it and how to get there safely.
Map Guides include:
- Lyndhurst to Yerilina Creek, 74.5km (Section A)
- Yerillina Creek to MacDonnell Creek, 81.7km (Section B)
- MacDonnell Creek to Montecollina Bore, 64.7km (Section C)
- Montecollina Bore to Popes Bore, 71.5km (Section D)
- Popes Bore to Moomba Turnoff, 74.9km (Section E)
- Moomba Turnoff to Della Satellite Turnoff, 48.1km (Section F)
- Della Satellite Turnoff to Innamincka, 55.6km (Section G)
- 15 Mile Track & Camping, 15km (47.2km with all Cooper Ck sites)
- Dig Tree Loop A, 71km
- Dig Tree Loop B, 79.5km
- Innamincka to Coongie Lakes A, 71km
- Innamincka to Coongie Lakes B, 33.3km
- Walkers Crossing Track A, 126.3km
- Walkers Crossing Track B, 99.5km
- Cadelga HS Ruin to Innamincka A, 123.2km
- Cadelga HS Ruin to Innamincka B, 141.1km
- Old Strzelecki Track A, 45.8km
- Old Strzelecki Track B 66.5km
- Bollards Lagoon to Strzelecki Track, 102.8km
- Fort Grey to Bollards Lagoon, 45.1km
- Tibooburra to Fort Grey, 109.3km
General Maps include Lyndhurst Township, and Innamincka Township.
NOTE: 16 pages of this guide are advertising. North does not always point up, however it is clearly marked on each map.